This salad pairs sweet and juicy pears with peppery watercress and pungent cheese in a perfect blend to welcome spring to your dinner table.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice of one lemon (about 2 tablespoons)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 USA Pears
- 1 bunch (4 ounces) watercress
- ½ cup (3 ounces) shaved goat cheese Gouda
- ⅓ cup (1-½ ounces) lightly toasted walnut halves
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Core one pear and use a mandolin or sharp knife to cut it into matchsticks. (Alternately, use the large holes on a box grater.) Core and quarter the other pear. Cut each quarter into thin wedges, about 4 per quarter. Put the grated and sliced pears in a large bowl and toss with the olive oil and lemon juice.
- Add the watercress to the pears and toss to evenly distribute the ingredients. Season to taste with salt and pepper and arrange on a large platter or divide evenly between 4 salad plates. Garnish with the shaved goat cheese and walnuts and serve.